Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Denon 2930 receiver problem - loud clicks/bangs on speakers

I've been using the Denon 2930 receiver happily for about four years with no problems. Today, however, while I was playing the Lionsgate BD of "Ran" (Kurosawa), there were about four occasions when there were sudden very loud clicks (perhaps "bangs" would be a better term) on my front speakers. They were loud enough to startle me and I was concerned in case there had been any damage to the speakers, but they seem to be OK.

FYI, I use HDMI leads from the (Panasonic) BD player to the receiver and from the receiver to the TV. I have a 5.1 speaker configuration, and I was playing the DTS HDMA 5.1 track (although there is no rear channel activity on this particular disc, so the problem only affected the front speakers). These episodes all occurred during loud action sequences involving gunshots, etc. However, I didn't have the volume turned up beyond my normal setting - it was set at -6 Db.

I'm a bit wary about playing the disc again, but I might try using the DTS HDMA 2.0 track next time to see if the problem occurs with that. I've played the disc previously without any problem, so I'm assuming it's an equipment problem, and the most likely culprit appears to be the receiver.

Can anyone suggest a possible cause? I'd be very grateful for any thoughts or suggestions. :)
Denon 2930 receiver problem - loud clicks/bangs on speakers

Related Post