Sunday, May 13, 2012

Panasonic 47" ET5 vs. 50" ST50

Hi all,

I'm buying a condo and my closing date is next month. My first major purchase is going to be a TV. I'm torn between two, however.

I've settled on Panasonic because the company I work for gets phenomenal discounts on Panasonic TVs. (ET5 is $1040 and the ST50 is $1120) and the reviews on each have been favorable. I know there's a checklist on the site but I've made one of my own because it suits my own needs.

There are a few factors weighing in to my decision, in no particular order:

1) Cost. Even though the difference is less than $100, at this point every dime I can save is important. Advantage: ET5

2) Passive 3D: I prefer passive 3D over active for many reasons. (lack of flickering and ease of use). I don't know how much I actually will take advantage of having 3D, but I like having it there. Advantage: ET5

3) Picture quality: I'm not a videophile, but I can have a trained eye when I want to. ST50 is known to provide high end picture for a mid-range price. ET5 has good picture but not mind-blowing. Part of that is Plasma vs. LED technology. Advantage: ST50

4) Value: ET5 comes with 4 pairs of glasses (although truly all you need to do is see a few 3D movies to get some from a theater). But ST50 has more features that enhance PQ and sound. The features on it are only offered on the high-end Panny LED's. Advantage: ST50

5) Energy efficiency: I originally justified getting the ST50 over an LED because the LEDs were more expensive (by a lot). Then I learned of the ET5. I'm thrifty (I guess you could call me cheap) and hate spending more on electric bills than I need to. EnergyGuide shows a $9/year difference in energy costs, but I know I'll be watching it more than 5 hours a day on some days. I do know from a wattage perspective, the LED uses at least twice as less wattage. Advantage: ET5

6) Size: Ideally I'd get a 55" but money is going to be tight once I close on this thing. I know 55" vs. 47" makes a huge difference but I only notice a small difference between 50" and 47". Still: advantage: ST50



So needless to say, I am very torn. Anyone have any advice?
Panasonic 47" ET5 vs. 50" ST50

Related Post