Thursday, May 24, 2012

HR34 - hitting PREV causes signal loss (handshake issue?)

I'm absolutely loving DirecTV so far (first timer here). Everything seems to be going great so far, except for two issues that I can't seem to resolve.

These questions relate to an HR34 receiver I had installed for me on May 19, 2012. (I also had two H25s set up in two other locations in my home.)

First: When I hit the 'PREV' button on my remote, I get a strange result. Immediately after hitting the button, the screen turns black and I hear the audio from the new channel/tuner. Then the audio cuts out, the screen flickers (multicolored lines on top half of screen), then the screen seems to lose input altogether and shows the "input" number for my TV in the top corner (as if I just changed the input on the TV remote), and then finally switches to the channel/tuner. The whole process takes 6-7 seconds. This does not happen on my H25 receivers at all. On the H25, I press 'PREV' and the channel changes in 1 second. On the HR34, sometimes I get the lag/handshake issue when I simply change the channel by locating one on the guide and pressing 'select.' I tried switching HDMI cables to the best I own, and that doesn't make a difference. Is this normal?

Second: When scrolling through the guide, I have minor lag. If I'm paging down, sometimes its moves as fast as I can press. But, sometimes, it hangs. Same with other button presses. On the other hand, the H25s fly as fast as I can press the button -- they never lag. Is this normal? I read in another thread that an update in late March reduced lag. Do I need to update the software/firmware?
HR34 - hitting PREV causes signal loss (handshake issue?)

Related Post