Monday, June 4, 2012

Do I need a new Receiver?

I have a question that I was not sure whether it belongs under players or receivers, but here it goes. I recently bought a Sony BDP-s390 blu ray player. I have a pretty old Sony Receiver, the STR-k670p, that was part of a home theater system i bought roughly 5-7 years ago. There are no HDMI ports on the receiver, so my current set up is blu ray player to the TV, optical from the TV to the receiver to get the audio. However, what I am noticing is that when playing blu rays, they are pretty quiet and I have to crank the volume alot to hear stuff that isn't loud action scenes. I am confused because my xbox, computer, etc. are really loud on a low volume. I then tried leaving the blu ray player hooked up to the TV and hooked up the orange coaxial cable from the blu ray player to the receiver. That seemed to help the audio become louder, but still not quite where I feel it should be. So this is my question: Is my receiver too old/does it not have the correct decoders? Would buying an updated receiver fix this problem? If so, I would love some recommendations for some affordable receivers that go great with blu ray but also have alot of red/white inputs for record players and other assorted gear I use.
Do I need a new Receiver?

Related Post